About this Show

The Five

News/Business. (2013)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Benghazi 17, Clinton 15, Us 7, Irs 5, Jay Carney 5, Carney 5, Jonathan Carl 3, Chris Christie 3, Gregory Hicks 3, Pickering 2, Eric 2, Juan 2, Obama 2, Greg 2, Ariel Castro 2, Cleveland 2, New York 2, Libya 2, Em Penetrable 1, Andy Levy 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Five    News/Business.  (2013)  

    May 10, 2013
    11:00 - 12:01am PDT  

11:00pm
searching for answers. when we have them, you'll be the first to he them. thanks for joining us. good night. factor. >>. >> kimberly: i'm kimberly guilfoyle, eric boling andrea tantaros andrea tantaros greg gutfeld. this is "the five"! >> kimberly: so much for benghazi happened a long time ago. jay carney postponed his regular scheduled briefings three hours as he held a discussion with the press corps trying to spin the attack in libya. two days ago we heard explosive testimony from three state department whistleblowers and today jonathan carl obtained 12 different edits to talking points that were the basis for the administration's leading message after four americans were killed by muslim
11:01pm
terrorists. what were the edits about? hardly about scrubbing the facts that al-qaeda group was responsible. perhaps it was to protect president obama. carney and the white house have reason to sweat. here is carney's original explanation about edits. >> the white house has made it clear that the single adjustment to those talking points by either of these two institutions was changing the word to conflict because conflict was inaccurate. >> kimberly: here is what he said today. >> the white house as i said made one minor change to the talking points drafted and produced by the c.i.a. even prior to that had very few input on it. the other discussions that went on prior to this in an interagency process reflected the concerning of a variety of
11:02pm
agencies who had a stake in this issue. >> kimberly: dana perino, your . >> hi, greg. quite a day. it reminded me a little bit of what it was like to be in the white house briefing room, in particular the u.s. attorney scandal but i don't remember being under the gun like jay carney was today. they would like to think this briefing will solve everything and everyone there will continue to move on and pretend that benghazi never happened. however, i do think that the hearing the coverage, the additional information built on the steven hayes report from the weekly standard that we talked about last friday, built upon by jonathan carl of abc news who found that there were 12 iterations. two main things i think what remain to be answered but there
11:03pm
are others, first is, what of the things that the white house says they did not want to speculate early on. except that they speculated and blamed the youtube video when it didn't have anything to do with the youtube video and it didn't have anything to do with it. second thing, if the white house had just stylistic changes to the talking points, it is puzzling to me there would be 12 iterations. plus, why would the c.i.a. revise its own talking points it had sent over before which completely changed the facts to the original talking points they had sent on the friday afternoon? i think there are a lot more questions they are going to have answer. the reason they had background briefings for reporters, usually if you do anything like that, it's to help educate reporters on the facts of the matters beforehand. since most of the reporters
11:04pm
weren't covering benghazi maybe they need the background briefing. >> eric: very importantly, you rolled, jay carney, we change one point. i can hold this up. consulate to diplomatic facilities but importantly he said the white house and state department made one change. this is what they said they did. this is what we found out they did. not one word but a 147 words is what they eliminated. it wasn't one thing they changed. it was quite a bit. >> kimberly: that is not an edit it's a massacre. >> eric: but jay carney doubled down. he said the white house made the change, another time in that press conference, he said the white house and state department made one change. it's a lie and frankly sick dumb in fluff to buy into this bs. they made a lot of changes directly from victoria newland who is hillary clinton's
11:05pm
spokesperson at the state department. >> andrea: couple things jumped out at me and how many times jay carney blame republicans. stop pointing to republicans. i think it aggravated the media even more. he through the c.i.a. squarely under the bus. tear to be able throw the intelligence community under the bus. he kept pointing to this arb investigation. it's under investigation. who put together that investigative team? hillary clinton. they never interviewed hillary clinton as part of the investigation. so there needs to be more hearings. trey says there is at least two more whistleblowers. i have a list 6 people. these are the people. pictures of them, clinton, susan rice for obvious reasons, victoria newland who says my leadership is not satisfied and
11:06pm
congress will use this al-qaeda information against us. shiarls mills is a fierce defender of clinton. beth jones was the one who knew it was al-qaeda and omitted that from the talking points, as well. general petraeus who was frustrated and voiced as much in an email, why are you editing my talking points. carney who laid from the onset who said the talking points were from the intelligence community and ben rose who responded to victoria's concerns said they were valid and they would be resolved. next day new messages went right to susan rice. >> kimberly: greg, your picture is conspicuously absent. >> greg: dismissed a cover-up while having an off the record
11:07pm
discussion or briefing about a cover-up is the night you have a deny you have a drinking problem by doing shots of tequila. carney got soaked. 12 versions of talking points. is that not a memo, that is a harlem shake. carney used to be a reporter. the transformation from truth seeker to a truth hider is stunning and makes a sex change look like a haircut. when you obsess over a memorandum hoe it's like lady mcbeth washing her hands. >> kimberly: juan, say something nice. what can they do to clean this up. >> i think from the start they made mistakes and transparency is called for. if you are behind the doors having private conferences, something is up. i think this week things have
11:08pm
changed a lot. mainstream media picked up the story. i still have of the opinion you talk about all these people, you got like wanted posters at the post office. let them testify. there have been 20 hearings already. there have been thousands of pages. let me finish, come on! there have been thousands of pages and lots of hearings. hillary clinton has been on the hill. you know what, let them come back. there is still no evidence that anybody leid about anything. >> kimberly: we need to get this mother of a benghazi victim. let's play what he is expected to hear from the president. >> what did you want secretary of state clinton and the president to do? >> i wanted somebody to tell me why this was done. i wanted to know why there was no security there when it was asked for.
11:09pm
it was begged. they begged them. how come somebody doesn't own up to their decisions? i'm so very afraid that other people are serving our country or going to be treated the same way. >> very quickly. here is the accountability research, review board. it's 39 pages, it blames security. doesn't wunt blame the terror attack and it doesn't interview hillary clinton. it doesn't interview gregory hicks who is the number one in charge when ambassador stevens went down. how is this document any good? how is this? they relied on testimony and it's useless. pickering and mullen, they should be awill shamed of the document. >> you are saying pickering and petraeus, all the bad guys?
11:10pm
>> eric: i didn't put petraeus in there, you did. >> these people are great reputation. hillary clinton didn't have anything to say about security i was just listening -- i'm listening to you and people got fired on the basis of this report. >> kimberly: maybe additional people should be terminated permanently. >> dana: couple things two different time lines. there is the political talking point one where the state department spokesperson says this is going to look bad for us. we need to make changes and somebody does their bidding. let me just tell you. i had a job as press secretary but i wasn't that powerful. in communications you don't do anything like wholesale changing of a document like that without somebody in your leadership as
11:11pm
they refer to in the email, somebody in the leadership was telling her to make the changes. then on saturday morning, the white house meets and gets totals. there is all that time line and get to the youtube video and use that for several days. now, they try to sweep it under the rug. second one, actually what happened that night. from a learning perspective i know they want to focus on future, we have to understand what happened that night in order to move on. if i were the reporters that have been covering this diligently, there is no rush. just keep on picking away and trying to get the information. if i were the white house i would just lay it out plain for everybody to see. else they are going to be dealing with this every single day for the for seeable future. >> kimberly: let's listen to obama on the daily show referring to benghazi. >> as i said during the debated, nobody is more interested in figuring this out than i am. what i have tried to do is make
11:12pm
sure we get all the facts, figure out what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again. we're still in that process now. every piece of information that we get as we got it we lay it out to the american people. >> greg: i think the administration thought they could ride this out like a 24-hour flu but it's full-blown pneumonia. i don't think this is an illegal type of corruption. its corruption of reason and corruption of will and corruption of truth, pushing the video, made more sense to them because the underlying logic it's america to blame rather than a terror group. not i think since ben affleck tried to debate o'reilly that ben has embarrassed the left so much since benghazi. >> did you prepare that before the show. >> greg: it came off the top of my head. [ laughter ]
11:13pm
it wasn't a piece at the press briefing. it en snares the president. it's a name that we haven't brought up until now. oh so this consulate was attacked by terrorists in weeks leading up total attack and british embassy was attacked. brits moved their people out. a hole was blown through. there were direct plea bias ambassador stevens. a president is notified immediately of those attacks. why wasn't something done? why weren't they pulled out of benghazi or why wasn't additional security sent? that is the question even the "new york times" is asking today. >> there is an answer to the question. >> cut the funding line? >> by the way, it is absolutely true. i'll tell you it's absolutely
11:14pm
true that the funding was cut but not only it was cut and republicans refuse to put the money back for the state department to provide that security. >> that was cleared up a hearing. >> that was not to be cleared up because it was the truth. >> it doesn't matter when you cut funding. >> now it doesn't matter? >> eric: are you going to send help. or let's cut off the $2 billion in pakistan and send some f-16s over there. >> it's money for security. what andrea was security. you are send talking about sending people from to benghazi. >> i'm going to move money around. i am the president of the united states. >> you think the president now is handling security now? >> he doesn't have the power he doesn't have the power. >> you think secretary clinton and obama has -- >> and you have an commander in
11:15pm
chief. >> i think andrea hit on something. one of the things that white house you have to do for a president is provide them full information because they are the decider. they decide not in detail but if this full accounting was provided to the president, who provided that to him? is the president confident that he got the right information and comprehensive information before he went out to blame the youtube video. who told the president that? if the president was comfortable with that, that is another question because he went out and repeated something that the c.i.a. initially said was not the case. that is very serious. >> eric: he was briefed one hour after the attack started. he was briefed by pinetta and joe biden was in the room. >> brit:. >> kimberly: that is a wrap. dana, thanks for joining us. hope you have a nice birthday
11:16pm
weekend. coming up, "new york times" says republicans are obsessed with benghazi. is it obama aapologies in the media obsessed? and later the irs targets the tea party for audits around then then they apologize. lots to get to. stay with us. ♪ ♪ ♪
11:17pm
11:18pm
11:19pm
11:20pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> greg: you know there is a
11:21pm
cover-up of a cover-up when an investigation called a witch hunt. "new york times" editorial board called benghazi a republican obsession saying, quote. common sense and good judgment have long given way to conspiracy mongering and relentless effort to discredit obama and clinton. so they protect the print and obvious point who put the damn video. that what's scares them. as the times notes, the real scandal is that serious follow-up on security in libya is going unaddressed. actually, no. the real scandal is who pushed the damn video, you can't answer that without heads rolling, better to pretend security of the consulate. you are going tell me that you wouldn't call for blood if it was president romney?
11:22pm
remember your big stink about his tax returns. this is school yard pickup game. the media picks sides. one side and we are the underdog. the rebels. the hoosiers, it's rocky and bad news bear. it's bosm buddies but why be a school yard. grow up and do your job, media. fox news is the vanguard, first to land and soften have been up the ground. it's a shame john stewart? the rear with the gear. i want to ask juan a question. isn't the media come police it in a cover-up of a cover-up, if you deny it, aren't you denying it and by saying are you covering up of the cover-up of the cover-up, cover-up. >> juan: i'm guilty, get the
11:23pm
shackles? this is an amazing moment on the five. i think i agree with you. bombing has an effect on me. i think the media should have been on this story earlier. i think the transparency is the part. you got to demand you produce the documents and give everything up front. i understand you are dealing with the c.i.a. and intelligence did you bu at some point because there was deaths involved. i think the media has to go to the heart of the story. they need to be a pit bull, i disagree with my colleagues here. i don't think it's been proven to be involved with lies and conspiracies but the media, wow, why aren't you out there pursuing the story? >> andrea: why wouldn't you jump in for the conspiracy. >> juan: if you show me evidence
11:24pm
but there is no evidence of that. >> andrea: how can you say that? >> juan: if you cite it to me. cite it to me. what about the edits? >> eric: first one was blaming the video. >> juan: that is not a lie. >> eric: to stand in front of the caskets and blame the video, that a cover for obama. hiding the stand down order is hiding for hillary clinton. maybe on this one instance that may be the case. they are always on the other side. benghazi on one side. [ laughter ] >> he needs the glasses. >> eric: i wanted to roll some tape from the press conference. let's see the media coming to play. >> that is not a single adjustment as you said back in november. that is a major, dramatic change. >> it seems there has been fuel
11:25pm
added to the fire. isn't that political motivation? >> those subjects were taken out of the c.i.a. talking points at the direction of the white house >> the way the administration handled this is. >> there was a mischaracterization. >> andrea: my question is this, why did it take months later a story by jonathan carl to behave like this. i think they were pretty angry and this has vindicated fox news and the excellent reporting, james rosen, catherine herridge, adam housley, the "a" team they followed their lead. >> kimberly: "new york times" is liberal media and propaganda on the administration and they are unwilling to do their job. >> eric: what took them so long? joe scarborough did it.
11:26pm
if the far right didn't overplay their hand we would have covered it. what hell does that mean? >> juan: when you politicize things, in fact you gave the media an out. that is just a political fight in the middle of a campaign. >> greg: we have to wrap this up. what a lively segment. kimberly, am i going to have to come over there. had clinton hurts her chances in 2016 because of benghazi scandal? that debate when we return. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
11:27pm
11:28pm
11:29pm
11:30pm
♪ ♪ ♪
11:31pm
>> eric: hillary clinton runs in 2016 it's going to be hard to prove she gets a wake-up call at 3:00 a.m. and answer the phone. >> it's 3:00 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep. who do you want answering the phone? i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message. >> what difference at that point does it make? ♪ ♪ >> and today the super pac run by karl rove released their version. >> a 22 year diplomatic veteran intimidated for tearing dairg to blow the whistle fell under hillary clinton's's watch. >> was because some guys decided
11:32pm
would kill americans. what difference does it make? >> four american lives that deserves the truth. >> eric: similarly themed ads. can she recover from all of this. >> kimberly: if anybody can, they seem to be em penetrable. no one should recover from this. so the question is, is she presidential merely? does she deserve to be president of united states in 2016. did she handle this right? did she honor the lives of those fallen by being transparent and answering the question. >> eric: mr. juan, what difference did does it make. i did not have sex with that woman. >> juan: first you listen to hicks, he had a very good phone conversation with hillary clinton at the time of the attack. second thing to say is, i think
11:33pm
hillary clinton has no trouble with her base when it comes to benghazi. the question would be the larger audience. last time she was up on the hill came away with tail between their legs, the republicans. >> andrea: juan, you and i see things so differently. you reference the phone call she had with gregory hicks. gregory hicks told her as the terrorist attack. it went right to her doorstep. why didn't she do something about it? she should have been finished a long time with the rose law firm. you can go back and look at all the scandals this woman has survived. i will say she has people everybody including virginia mosley, she is married to the deputy of secretary of state. so these things between the clinton people are vast and deep. they will protect her if she runs. >> greg: how do you know when
11:34pm
hillary is lying? i'm not that interested in political ramifications of this story yet. even in the intent of these ads are correct, i'm more interested in the story now because i think the more you talk about the politics of it. it tends to soil the story. the idea of who pushed this video and what actually happened. it should be the same whether it's a republican president or a democratic administration. the politics doesn't bother me. i don't know it doesn't interest me zbloojdz when you have dick cheney come out and say, get hillary clinton. i think it hurts the case. >> whole point of inmating her is because she wants to be president. >> that is why this is so relevant. >> eric: and irs admits to targeting conservatives.
11:35pm
they apologized for it. congress vowing to investigate the details next on the five. ♪ ♪
11:36pm
11:37pm
11:38pm
11:39pm
note. ♪ ♪ >> andrea: a damning admission to the irs. they say they unfairly targeted conservative political groups during the 2012 elections. here is one of officials. >> they used names like tea party or patriot and they selected cases simply because the application had those names in the title. that was wrong. that was absolutely incorrect. it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. that is not hour we go about selecting cases for further review. we select them because they need further review, not because they have a particular game. >> andrea: unbelievable. tea party groups were singled out and audited if they had patriot in their name during the
11:40pm
2012 election. this story is huge. >> greg: i think it is pretty big. when the "new york times" and everybody else mocks it. they were mocked by the mainstream media and just the way benghazi was mocked. you learn "a" you can't trust the mainstream media on stories like this. you have to find the truth. this was mocked, and now it's real. that is a big deal. that reimgs. >> andrea: there is going to be an investigation. but the irs wouldn't have done something like this on its own. do you think there is more to this story. >> eric: something that is important, it's not disturbing they targeted the tea party but it's disturbing they targeted anybody. they should be going merits. on tax exempt status it's supposed to be for the social good. i wonder if media matters got
11:41pm
the same examination. >> andrea: they apologized and the tea party is not accepting their apology. >> kimberly: also they asked for list of donors that violates irs policy. as i see it. this is illegal. >> kimberly: it's illegal completely and getting a done of press coverage but they would isolated certain americans and groups based on their political beliefs is unconscionable. what country are we living in? as my little boy, sometimes sorry, not good enough. it's not okay. >> andrea: during the jay carney press conference. >> john: who took the peanut butter? >> during the carney press conference he was getting
11:42pm
hammered on benghazi. he got a question on the irs. he actually looked relieved. but no one died. this is a huge deal. >> juan: this is a huge deal. we disagree on benghazi, but i this, you do not want the government targeting people because of their politics. a lot of the tea party stuff comes from people who use letters, mail order letters to fund-raiser. some of that stuff can get uneasy. remember this is an admission from the irs is that they are looking for people with tea party in the name, patriots in the name. that is political agenda. they are against profiling now? >> i'm against profiling. we knew the department of homeland security have targeted right wing groups. 300 groups were singled out
11:43pm
because of their name. i think it should make everybody nervous because the irs is going to handle obamacare. >> kimberly: i don't feel good about it. >> andrea: directly ahead jailhouse confessions that allegedly raped three women in cleveland. what he is admitting to investigators. that when we come back. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 50% annual bonus. and everyone but her... no. no! no. ...likes 50% more cash. but i don't give up easy... do you want 50% more cash? yes! yes?! ♪ [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on every purchase, plus a 50% annual bonus on the cash you earn. it's the card for people who like more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? why? and we've hit the why phase...
11:44pm
11:45pm
11:46pm
11:47pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ >> ariel castro that allegedly raped three women for a decade, they say he doesn't have any remorse. he described himself as a cold blood and a sex addicted. prosecutors are going can see the death penalty against him. though can charge him with aggravated murder for the pregnancies that were terminated because he beat these women. this to me, this is like a horror movie. you can't believe this really happened. andrea, do you think they should go after him because he forced these women in graphic terms and like a bloody pool to abort.
11:48pm
>> andrea: i do. i think they should pursue the death penalty. little babies and the way he terminated them, as you point out, beating these women after he raped them repeatedly. this is so hard to read. it's a sick story. the level, the beatings, the rape and kidnappings and five pregnancies terminated all point to -- i don't see how they avoid giving him the death penalty. >> juan: according to the news stories out of cleveland, he blames the girls. he says they are to blame for haven't got in the cars. >> greg: that is why we should stop to listen to him he has problem. i we don't care. they should pass a law for abortion up to 52 years old, you should be tried in the most imaginable way possible zbloojdz
11:49pm
he was abused as child, therefore, he is playing this out in his adulthood. he said when the cops came back in 2004, he with a school bus driver and he left the child in the bus. anything that happens, give me money to these poor women -- is that a good defense? >> eric: the whole point of this he left a suicide note an apology note from 2004 nine years ago. it looks like whenever he got caught he was going to try to make it better. >> juan: let's ask the lawyer in the house. >> kimberly: that is an admission, okay, because his handwriting and they can authenticate it. they have all the evidence. they are going to file a death penalty case that is what we talked about on wednesday on the show. this is no surprise. the initial reports were coming out from the f.b.i., this was
11:50pm
exactly what was going on. this is systematic what he was doing these beatings. good news the law in ohio is not going to allow this. the law is not going to protect ariel castro. that is important point here. other states should have these laws on the books. for 20 weeks, viability and all of this is going to factor into prosecution. i think it's a shame that in this country you can't get the death penalty for repeatedly sexually abusing and raping and torturing children. can you believe that? >> juan: is there a distinguish made bringing the death penalty on forced abortions after kidnapped and tortured these women. >> kimberly: they were children at the time. they were under the age of 18 zbloojdz but zbleejz. >> juan:. these guys scant top.
11:51pm
usually they kill these children and they move on to the next. and i felt like i needed another. >> greg: if i were a prison guard. i would volunteer for the suicide watch and i would suck. i would leave rope around jodi arias' cell. whoops. >> eric: you would be as good around the security in benghazi. >> i dropped the meat cleaver. i already offered to take the person off their hands. >> i don't think there is any sympathy. one more thing coming up next. stay with us. ♪ ♪ ♪
11:52pm
11:53pm
11:54pm
11:55pm
♪ ♪ ♪ time for one more thing. >> bangladesh comes a story of
11:56pm
amazing grace. a woman was trapped in that building, clothing building and 17 days later, from the basement the workers see a pipe moving and decide to plunge in. there, they find reshma. >> 935 degree hit, 15 days eating dried biscuits and alive. just unbelievable. that is her being pulled out. you can see the response from the workers. they know they have seen a moment of grace in their lives. >> that is unbelievable. >> always carry food with you. >> and tremendous focus, thanks, eric? >> eric: mother's day, happy mother's day to all the moms out there current potentially future. [ laughter ] >> he pointed at me!
11:57pm
>> eric: a special shout out for all the moms that are fighting breast cancer. here a picture from my wife and mindy who is five years cancer free and winning. good job to everyone and special happy mother's day to all the moms and fighting cancer. >> or the potential mothers he pointed to. >> you can't wish a potential mother -- >> eric. rumors aside. we were talking about this earlier on the five. chris christie a lot of people have some reaction to his recent remarks about what kind of republican he is. take a listen. >> i'll worry about the presidency if i decide to run for it. i'm a damn good republican and conservative republican, but it does not mean i would put party before my state or party before my country. >> chris christie has come under
11:58pm
fire for that. he is a good republican and a blue state. we can't -- by the way, he put his property tax and entitlement reform and balanced budget and he voted all these bills that the vetoed all these bills that the bills come on the desk. >> next few days of your life. all your twitter fans are going to take you apart. >> andrea: i'm telling, you agree, he has done a great job. >> juan: he takes on those unions. >> greg: can he get rid of the smell in newark? >> eric: can't do that. >> greg: from the sewage plant. like when we go to the gas station and inhale. >> greg: new "redeye", tucker karl soften, it will be a good
11:59pm
show. strange picture of me. i have no idea. i'm on o'reilly tonight the show. i don't want to be o'reilly. [ laughter ] >> kimberly: i have special one more thing, about the steven gainer school. fantastic children at that school. they have humane education program that their school runs. they heard a little dog that was abused as bait for fighting dogs pit bulls and veterinary bills were quite large. the kids and bake sale raised $800 and now misty is doing fantastic and visited the kids. it was nice and shows what you can do when you come back.
12:00am
>> before we ruin everything, that is it for us. thank you for watching. have a great weekend. happy mother's day, special report is next. welcome to "red eye." it is like "dude where's my car" if by car you mean mask made of human skin. andy levy has our pre game report. what is coming up, old sport? >> thanks, greg. our top story tonight, what is the deal with the world's first 3-d printed gun. it is real and spectacular. and in a commencement address at ohio state president obama encourages people to fight the system. no, he tells them to trust the government. and chris christie kills a spider in front of a group of fourth grader. not sure what the story s. -- the story is. i'm sure rhinos crush spiders all the time. >> thank you, andy. >> sure. >> go away. she is